Introduction to ICT Journalism Online Training Course Syllabi
This online training course is designed by the International Institute for Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Journalism – Penplusbytes to expose journalists to the wider context of ICTs assisted journalism including its history, how these technologies are impacting on the world of journalism, how ICT can be used in producing stories and how to manage change process in using innovative ICT tools.
Course Description and Goals: This course teaches the theory and concept of ICTs journalism and how to use ICTs tools how to generate and publish news content.
At the end of the course, the participants will learn four main set of skills
- You will learn and understand broad spectrum of ICTs tools available for journalism
- You will learn how to research and publish content online
- You will learn that despite that the proliferation of technology for journalism the fundamental principles of journalism still apply.
- You will learn how to generate more ICTs stories
Prerequisites: This course does not have any special prerequisites though participants will need to have basic computer skills such sending and receiving mails, managing files and browsing the Internet. The course assumes participants are practicing journalists who have mastered journalism skills.
Class Meeting: Participants are expected to meet online via group discussion weekly, it is expected that a participants must devote at least five hours per week online.
- Introduction to ICT Journalism – concept, theory and definition
- History of ICT Journalism
- Introduction to ICT tools for Journalism – wikis, blogs, website, chat, fourm, email, content management system, newsroom management and publishing platforms
- The role of information and knowledge management in the newsroom
- Reporting ICT Stories
- Online Research
- Business Models of Online Journalism
- Future of ICT Journalism
Participants will be provided with regular resources during the duration of the course, these resources will available mostly online or via CD ROM.
Grading: Participants are expected to undertake weekly assignment, participate in online discussion and published final project work on penplusbyte website.
All participants who fully participated in the course would be awarded a certificate.